Today I want to tell you a story about a girl who decided to change her life in one day. Quit all the bad habits, and become happy and healthy for the rest of eternity. And she did!! And it felt great. She knew she could do anything after reorganising her life, quitting smoking, slowly losing weight, and eating real food. Or didn’t she?
While changing your habits is doable and very satisfying, maintaining it for longer than 2-3 months might be tricky. As a girl who is always on diet, yet still had gained weight in the last 10 years, she knew first hand what hormones do to your brain.( Don’t mess with your menstrual cycle!). And that if your brain wants something, it will make sure you get it for him.
This is why support is so important in this stage. Deep down we all know what to do. But it’s soo easy to succumb and go back to the old habits, only to realize that: “Whoops I did it again”. Surrounding yourself with people you love, and most importantly who love you, and want you to succeed is the key. And I’m saying it from my own experience. No matter how much YOU think YOU support and believe in yourself – it’s not enough. ‘Cos that time of the month will come, and you will feel lazy, and tired and craving bad food. And you will give up every second day.
Women know too well that when you hit a wall, especially when trying to lose weight, motivation disappears instantly, as if it knew who’s fault is it for letting you down.
What else can we do to push forward when all we want to do is lay in bed and eat pizza or have a smoke? Here my list. i look at it whenever I doubt my abilities to succeed:
- Look in the mirror everyday. Look at yourself and think about what you like and if you don’t like something, think of what you can do to change it. And then say – I LOVE YOU.
- Don’t be too harsh on yourself. If you fall, dust yourself off and get up. We all make mistakes, but don’t let them define you.
- Talk to yourself daily and ask yourself what do you want to be, and how do you feel about yourself right now.
- Set a short-term goal or at least a plan, that is easy to follow. But if you don’t achieve it, don’t stress. Set another one and keep pushing.
- Take it one step at the time. If something doesn’t feel right – DON’T DO IT
- SPOIL yourself at least once a week. Go eat breakfast in your favourite cafe, watch a movie eating a big bag of popcorn, or get a massage. Whatever makes you happy. Don’t feel like trying to be happy and healthy is a chore. Benefits of it are so much better that you feel right now, and you know it!
- Last but not least – Make love Not war. As cliché as this may sound – Anger destroys positive thinking and makes it easier to give up.
We all have read lists and tips like that. And we all think we know better than our mothers, about what’s good for us. Well – guess what. NO, We don’t. So get up and move that ass and do your research on health and pick up the phone, call your Mum and tell her you LOVE her!
Love ❤ Gacia